Kenneth Tang: From Cambodia to Australia & Back
Today’s guest is Kenneth Tang, the Managing Director of Dynamic Technologies and the current President of the Australian Chamber of Commerce in Cambodia (AusCham). He is also currently a board director of Urbanetic Pte Ltd (Singapore) and Vice Chair of the European Chamber of Commerce ICT Committee.
Born in Battambang, Cambodia, Ken & his family moved to Australia during the Civil War and lived a relatively comfortable existence in the suburbs of Sydney. He attended Sydney Boys High School and graduated from the University of New South Wales with a Bachelor of Science majoring in Information Technology.
However, over time, Kenneth realised that he wasn’t on the path he wanted, despite a successful tech career that took him abroad to Hong Kong, the US and Europe. He eventually decided to step back and re-assess his life, attempting various things (like an Australian themed cafe/restaurant in Hong Kong) and failing a lot in the process.
Listen to this episode to hear more about Kenneth’s journey, the way he navigated his life & career, and how & why he ended up back in Cambodia to help contribute back to his country of birth (timestamps & topics below).
Topics & Timestamps
Find out more about Dynamic Technologies (part of the Dynamic Group) & their vision for Cambodian smart cities & solutions here: https://dynamictechnologies.io/
INTRO / LIFE IN AUSTRALIA
- 0:00 – Intro
- 2:25 – Ken’s intro, growing up in Sydney, Australia from Cambodia
- 4:55 – Any struggles growing up Asian Australian?
- 7:30 – Were you familiar with your Cambodian heritage?
KENNETH’S CAREER JOURNEY & LIVING OVERSEAS
- 10:55 – Kenneth’s early career journey
- 12:41 – Kenneth’s journey from Australia to Hong Kong, the US & Europe.
- 18:00 – Ken’s career break back in Australia & re-assessing life, getting to know his family & heritage
- 21:10 – Moving back to Hong Kong and trying to experience as many things in life.
RELATIONSHIPS, LIFE LESSONS, MAKING MISTAKES & FAILING
- 23:10 – Re-assess your life, finding something meaningful. Ken’s decision to return to Cambodia for the 1st time, reconnecting with his roots and deciding to stay there.
- 26:25 – Falling into the trap of the 9-5 rat race vs pursuing something meaningful.
- 30:10 – The importance of “failure” or failing
- 33:25 – The importance of relationships and understanding who you are.
- 38:20 – What does Kenneth do in Cambodia? What is Dynamic Technologies? Improving the quality of life for locals through smart cities and solutions. The high economic growth rate in Cambodia creating issues & opportunities.
- 44:05 – How did Kenneth adapt to working in Cambodia? How did he adjust to day to day life?
- 50:30 – Are many overseas Cambodians coming back to Cambodia? Advice for others thinking of returning to Cambodia?
- 55:00 – Kenneth’s future plans & conclusion