Episode Themes (timestamps below)
- The impact of COVID-19 on Chinatown, retail property & startups
- Brad’s upbringing & struggles to fit in as an Asian-Australian
- Haymarket HQ & helping startups expand to Asia
- The challenges of running a family business
- The importance of self-awareness & the strengths of introversion
About Brad Chan
“Brad Chan, CEO of the Banna Property Group, is an entrepreneur leading one of Australia’s most established third generation family companies across retail, entertainment & commercial property sectors. He is an Angel investor, mentor to startups and an active contributor to community groups with a close association with the Asian Australian community. His vision to establish an Asia Innovation Hub in Chinatown led to the creation of Haymarket HQ.”
He is a self-confessed introvert who is passionate about giving back to the community and paying it forward. Find out more here:
- Banna Property Group: https://banna.com.au/about/
- Haymarket HQ: https://www.haymarkethq.com/
- 1:30 – Introduction
- 1:55 – Impact of COVID-19 on retail & real estate.
- 5:30 – Operating a family business vs institutions.
- 6:30 – thoughts on shopping centres as an investment.
- 8:10 – observations on the changes in Chinatown & Haymarket. Impact of COVID-19.
- 12:15 – Brad’s upbringing in Australia as a 3rd culture kid.
- 14:40 – introversion, humility & adaptability as positives, not negatives.
- 17:00 – the importance of self-awareness (strengths & weaknesses), leadership journey, struggles of self-promoting.
- 18:20 – advice for introverts who feel like outsiders in their job.
- 19:10 – thoughts on the lack of cultural diversity in Australian leadership.
- 21:35 – advice for those who are facing cultural barriers in the workplace.
- 23:15 – thoughts on Asian-Australians & entrepreneurship.
- 25:15 – advice for young Asian-Australians struggling to “fit in”, Brad’s own struggles.
- 31:00 – motivations for starting Haymarket HQ.
- 34:00 – are enough Asian-Australians doing business in Asia? Do they understand the opportunities? Impact of COVID-19 on startups.
- 39:10 – thoughts on running a family business and keeping strong relationships.
- 41:20 – leaders being adaptable, leadership styles.
- 43:50 – more thoughts on introversion, how to change perceptions, changing yourself but being authentic, how to find mentors & support networks to help push your comfort zone.
- 49:00 – Brad’s future plans, his career history, building skills.
- 56:00 – wrapping up
- It’s ok not to fit in…we spend so much time trying to be part of a particular group and to fit in.
- A lot of people don’t have the confidence to break the chains that they have from their parents…and do the things they’re passionate about.