The Kimchi Company
In this vlog episode, I follow Ed from The Kimchi Company as he delivers a batch of authentic Korean Kimchi to Woolworths for an initial trial. If successful, they have a shot at bringing healthy & authentic kimchi nationally to all Australians.
A real ‘behind the glamour’ insight into the day-to-day grind small businesses face every day (especially with all the global supply chain & inflation issues). We delve into a few topics around the realities of running a small business during COVID and some thoughts on Korean culture and growing up Asian Australian. Ed did a great job of talking while driving in the rain!
*JULY 22 UPDATE: The Kimchi Company is now available in all Coles Local Supermarkets (nationwide) & Woolworths Metro stores in NSW in addition to IGA & Harris Farms. Full stocklist here: https://www.kimchicompany.com.au/findus
About The Kimchi Company
Founded by Ed & Sooji in 2019, The Kimchi Company not only wants to bring delicious tangy and umami Kimchi to Australia, but they also want to help make Kimchi & Korean culture aware to more people and share the goodness. To find out more about them, check out their website and socials here:
Video Timestamps & Topics
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:32 – What’s the plan for today? Trial at Woolies
- 2:15 – Why did Ed start The Kimchi Company with Sooji?
- 3:45 – Cultural barriers when dealing with Korean suppliers & business partners as a Korean Australian
- 5:26 – Reaching the Kimchi storage facility. The importance of keeping Kimchi cool.
- 9:25 – School life in Korea as an outsider
- 10:22 – Small business struggles, supply chain issues & inflation. Expectations vs reality of starting a business.
- 14:45 – Being Korean Australian & thoughts on the rise of Kpop & Korean culture… Minari.
- 17:50 – Delivering the good at Woolworths!
- 19:15 – Visiting Woolworths 2 weeks later to see how sales are going
- 20:40 – Status update / where can you follow the Kimchi Company?