- Cultural & gender barriers in Australia & what we can do to improve these,
- Her entrepreneurial journey & advice for others on a similar journey,
- Why COVID has unfairly impacted women in their careers and what she’s doing to help them,
- The opportunities for women in the tech industry,
- Having a positive mindset and turning your obstacles into opportunities.
About The Dream Collective
The Dream Collective was founded in 2012 by Sarah Liu, a passionate advocate for women in leadership and furthering diversity and inclusivity practises in corporate culture to transform the way we work.
Sarah was named one of the “40 under 40: Most Influential Asian-Australians” in the Entrepreneurship category at the 2019 Asian-Australian Leadership Summit.
The Dream Collective is a global leadership consultancy, helping business across Sydney, Shanghai, Melbourne, Tokyo & Singapore build diverse and inclusive workplaces: https://www.thedreamcollective.com.au/our-story/
- 1:20 – Introduction
- 3:50 – Cultural & diversity barriers in the workplace.
- 6:00 – Advice for others…career journey, upbringing, entrepreneurship.
- 9:25 – How did the Dream Collective start?
- 12:00 – Sarah’s transition from corporate to startup. Thoughts on having a “safety net” & taking risk.
- 12:40 – Seeing a gap in the market for mid-career level women
- 13:55 – What exactly are the barriers for women in the workplace?
- 15:40 – How is Sarah & The Dream Collective solving the lack of female leaders?
- 17:25 – thoughts around diversity & inclusion quotas in the workplace. The importance of having measurable targets. The lack of meritocracy in the workplace.
- 21:40 – utilising cultural & gender barriers to your advantage, addressing cultural barriers.
- 24:35 – why women have been unfairly impacted by COVID? What is the ShePivots program? How is it addressing this problem?
- 26:40 – opportunities for women in tech. You don’t need a technical/coding background to succeed. Using your diversity as a strength
- 28:25 – thoughts around entrepreneurship, advice for others on a similar journey, understand your “why”, impacts of COVID.
- 31:00 – Expanding globally to expand into other markets, differences in diversity & inclusion between countries.
- 34:10 – Using Japan vs Australia as an example
- 36:10 – COVID impacts and how to turn obstacles into opportunities
- 38:15 – Wrapping up, final thoughts, launch of 50/50 in 100 days
- 41:15 – how to find out more about The Dream Collective, ShePivots, other programs & initiatives.