- Cultural & gender barriers in Australia & what we can do to improve these,
- Diversity in Australia vs Japan,
- Her entrepreneurial journey & advice for others on a similar journey,
- Why COVID has unfairly impacted women in their careers and what she’s doing to help them,
- The opportunities for women in the tech industry,
- Having a positive mindset and turning your obstacles into opportunities.
About The Dream Collective
The Dream Collective was founded in 2012 by Sarah Liu, a passionate advocate for women in leadership and furthering diversity and inclusivity practises in corporate culture to transform the way we work.
Sarah was named one of the “40 under 40: Most Influential Asian-Australians” in the Entrepreneurship category at the 2019 Asian-Australian Leadership Summit.
The Dream Collective is a global leadership consultancy, helping businesses across Sydney, Shanghai, Melbourne, Tokyo & Singapore build diverse and inclusive workplaces: https://www.thedreamcollective.com.au/our-story/
PDF’s mission is to to help diverse professionals reach their full potential in the Australian workplace. We believe that everyone, not the elite few, should have access to the right tools, techniques and networks to develop themselves. For more information please visit: http://professionaldevelopmentforum.org/
- 1:20 – Introduction
- 3:50 – Cultural & diversity barriers in the workplace.
- 6:00 – Advice for others…career journey, upbringing, entrepreneurship.
- 9:25 – How did the Dream Collective start?
- 12:00 – Sarah’s transition from corporate to startup. Thoughts on having a “safety net” & taking risk.
- 12:40 – Seeing a gap in the market for mid-career level women
- 13:55 – What exactly are the barriers for women in the workplace?
- 15:40 – How is Sarah & The Dream Collective solving the lack of female leaders?
- 17:25 – thoughts around diversity & inclusion quotas in the workplace. The importance of having measurable targets. The lack of meritocracy in the workplace.
- 21:40 – utilising cultural & gender barriers to your advantage, addressing cultural barriers.
- 24:35 – why women have been unfairly impacted by COVID? What is the ShePivots program? How is it addressing this problem?
- 26:40 – opportunities for women in tech. You don’t need a technical/coding background to succeed. Using your diversity as a strength
- 28:25 – thoughts around entrepreneurship, advice for others on a similar journey, understand your “why”, impacts of COVID.
- 31:00 – Expanding globally to expand into other markets, differences in diversity & inclusion between countries.
- 34:10 – Using Japan vs Australia as an example
- 36:10 – COVID impacts and how to turn obstacles into opportunities
- 38:15 – Wrapping up, final thoughts, the launch of 50/50 in 100 days
- 41:15 – how to find out more about The Dream Collective, ShePivots, other programs & initiatives.